Adults Do Make a Difference!
Adults do make a difference in the lives of destructive youth according to a recent study conducted at Western Oregon University. The study provides insight as to why and how adolescents whose lives are filled with destructive patterns of behavior are able to rebound into a more healthy and positive lifestyle.
As an adult, here are some things that you can do to make a difference:
- showing interest in what they are doing;
- having consistent behavioral expectations;
- monitoring compliance with rules and responsibilities;
- engaging them in conversations about their activities and confronting them about mistakes and unmet responsibilities;
- giving them lots of chances to recover when they do make mistakes;
- offering guidance, encouragement, and regard;
- modeling responsibility and integrity; and
- establishing a personal, caring connection with them.
For the full story: Services Help Improve Resilience in Formerly Incarcerated Youth
Copyright 2002 Edu-Leadership.com. All rights reserved.